Weekly study3 hours
Disaster Risk Reduction: An Introduction
How do you define a disaster? Find out on this course
On this short course, you will develop an understanding of what a disaster is and how its risks can be minimised. You will be introduced to disaster terminology, phases of the disaster management cycle and disaster risk reduction.
You will also have the opportunity to explore how the idea of disaster management and risk reduction has evolved, as well as how global changes have impacted the sector.
- The disaster management cycle
- The historical evolution of disaster management
- The benefits of reducing risks
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop an understanding of various disaster terminology
- Explore disaster management and risk reduction and how each has developed
- Assess how disaster risk management reduces disaster risks
- Identify stakeholders and consider their participation in disaster risk reduction
- Assess how disaster risk reduction policy can reduce the vulnerability of those affected by disasters
Who is the course for?
This course is for people looking to understand the disaster management cycle and the benefits of reducing disaster risks.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.