Educating for Sustainable Development (ESD) in Schools and Universities
Develop the skills to examine sustainable development with all learners
As part of the UN Sustainable Development Goals, schools and universities have a responsibility to educate all learners on sustainability.
On this three-week course, you’ll gain an overview of the key issues relating to sustainability and how to deliver this knowledge, whether you teach in schools or higher education.
Explore global sustainability issues with specialist guidance from the Institute of Education at UCL
Learning from the experts at the Development Education Research Centre (DERC), within IOE, you’ll discover the fundamentals of ESD and its related themes. You’ll also explore issues and debates relating to ESD research and policy.
With this understanding, you’ll have the confidence to pitch this knowledge at the correct level for your learners.
Learn how to incorporate sustainable development education into your teaching practice
You’ll assess teaching approaches to ESD and discuss the merits of each in practice. You’ll also investigate the challenges educators face when teaching ESD.
By doing so, you’ll discover best practice from around the world and gain the skills to plan your own ESD introduction.
Enhance your ESD teaching resources with worldwide peer collaboration
With a global network of educators learning alongside you, you’ll encounter diverse perspectives and unique practices of ESD. You’ll also explore a range of learning resources, guides, and activities to help develop your own ESD plan.
With these skills and materials, you’ll be able to create an engaging and enlightening program of ESD teaching for your own learners.
By the end of this course, you’ll understand the key global issues of ESD and how they are being addressed worldwide. You’ll also have learned key techniques to embed this learning into your own curriculum.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the concept of education for sustainable development and related terms such as climate change education.
- Engage with key issues and debates in education for sustainable development research and policy.
- Investigate the key elements of, and approaches to, education for sustainable development in research and practice.
- Explore the opportunities and challenges that education for sustainable development can present for educational practitioners.
- Collaborate with peers around the world to develop an awareness of diverse perspectives on, and practices of, education for sustainable development.
- Assess the range of resources which are available to support educators to incorporate education for sustainable development in their practice, including guides, approaches and learning activities.
- Develop greater confidence, knowledge and skills to be able to incorporate education for sustainable development into your teaching.
- Reflect on your current practice and identify how you might apply the learning from the course to your practice in the future.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for educators working in schools or higher education institutions around the world who want to improve their knowledge of education and sustainable development. It will also be useful if you would like to share best practice with others in a global context.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.