Be prepared for university study in the UK by familiarising yourself with UK culture and higher education.
Weekly study3 hours
Study UK: Prepare to Study and Live in the UK
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Understand how to make the most of life and university study in the UK.
The prestige of a UK university education attracts students from all over the world. However, research shows that transition to UK study is not always easy. Many feel challenged by an unfamiliar educational system, cultural differences, and working in a different language.
This course will give you all the help you need to study and thrive in the UK. You’ll become familiar with studying in English and how higher education courses are structured, gaining a clear understanding of what to expect. You’ll also develop self-study skills, whilst getting a taste of life in the UK.
What topics will you cover?
- Characteristic features of higher education in the UK: active engagement, critical thinking, evidence-based argument, independent study, academic integrity
- Study modes: lectures, seminars, tutorials, student presentations, group assignments, their roles and functions
- The language skills you need to achieve success (academic writing, reading, listening and note-taking, speaking)
- Understanding assessment in higher education
- Support services available to students; library, English language support, counselling etc.
- Practical issues round living as a student in the UK: accommodation, making friends, what to bring, things you need to do on arrival
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
Add to Wishlist to be emailed when new dates are announced
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate an understanding of UK academic culture and the engagement expected of you
- Explore the way teaching and learning is organised in UK higher education and its key terminology
- Reflect on the language knowledge and academic skills you need to achieve success
- Assess the resources that are available to you to support your learning
- Reflect on the positive contribution you will make to UK academic life through the diversity of perspectives you bring
- Develop the confidence you need to feel prepared for study in the UK
Who is the course for?
This course would be of immense benefit to international students who have been accepted to study at a UK university.
Who will you learn with?
I’m an English for Academic Purposes lecturer & materials developer at the University of Reading. My research interest is different modes of thought & reasoning across different language & cultures.
I am a PhD candidate in the School of Agriculture, Policy, and Development at the University of Reading.
I am a PhD student in the School of Agriculture, Policy, and Development at the University of Reading
I have almost 12 years’ experience working in International Education, including student recruitment, advice and guidance, business development, programme management, and education agents’ training.
Who developed the course?
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million people overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
British Council are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLStudyUK to talk about this course on social media.