Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Instructional Design: Educational Media
Understand how to promote student engagement
Educational media is an essential and evolving element of online course design. The notion of “lectures,” as many have known them, is now under review as we understand more about how people learn.
On this three-week course, you’ll question what you know about lectures and media, before discovering new media models to help promote student engagement.
You’ll debate how students learn and explore the tools and techniques to apply to your course to improve the learning experience.
Explore how visual elements enhance learning
With an understanding of how people learn, you’ll discover how visual elements enhance that learning.
You’ll learn how you can align visual components with your course content before comparing and contrasting educational media models to find the one that works for you.
Discuss scripting and proof of concept to further your skills
Once you know the best practices for student learning, you’ll use this to create a media plan as well as a media presentation to help facilitate learning.
As part of this process, you’ll learn about scripting and the importance of developing a proof of concept to help move your ideas forward.
Create a successful media production team
You’ll finish the course by examining the ways you can put together your media team personnel to help schedule your media development and deliver results.
Learning from senior instructional designer Patricia Baia, you’ll gain exclusive insights into how to be successful in your role and deliver high-quality courses.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Align visual components with course content
- Compare and contrast educational media models
- Create a media presentation
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for new or experienced instructional designers as well as educators looking to make the transition into instructional design.
Who developed the course?
Established in 1962, the University of California, Irvine Division of Continuing Education (UCI DCE) has served the lifelong learning needs of individuals, organizations, and the community on a local, regional, and global scale.
World rankingTop 100Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends