Effective Livestock Production with Low Use of Antibiotics
Duration 4 weeks
Weekly study 4 hours
Extra benefits From $44 Find out more
Understand disease prevention and antibiotic use in livestock production
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is an increasing problem worldwide and is a threat to the health of animals and humans. But there is still a need for a efficient livestock production, which requires healthy animals. In many countries, this has led to extensive and often inappropriate use of antibiotics, which may contribute to increasing antibiotic resistance.
On this course, you will learn how basic disease preventative measures in combination with sensible use of antibiotics can sustain or even increase the livestock production and limit the emergence of antibiotic resistance.
What topics will you cover?
- What antibiotics are and what they are used for
- What antibiotic resistance is, how it develops and why it is a problem
- Basics of infectious disease prevention
- When and how we should use antibiotics prudently and efficiently in livestock production
- How to combine disease preventative measures and prudent use of antibiotics for livestock to sustain their health and productivity
- The economic possibilities in applying disease preventative measures
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course is for livestock keepers and professionals working in the livestock production sector (such as veterinarians and advisors) in low-income countries and emerging economies worldwide. The course might also be of interest for agricultural authorities in those countries.
Who will you learn with?
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #AMRlivestock to talk about this course on social media.