Understand disease prevention and antibiotic use in livestock production
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is an increasing problem worldwide and is a threat to the health of animals and humans. However, there is still a need for an efficient livestock production, which requires healthy animals. In many countries, this has led to an extensive and often inappropriate use of antibiotics, which may contribute to increasing antibiotic resistance.
On this course, you will learn how basic disease preventive measures in combination with sensible use of antibiotics can sustain or even increase the livestock production and limit the emergence of antibiotic resistance.
- What antibiotics are and what they are used for
- What antibiotic resistance is, how it develops and why it is a problem
- Basics of infectious disease prevention
- When and how we should use antibiotics prudently and efficiently in livestock production
- How to combine disease preventive measures and prudent use of antibiotics for livestock to sustain their health and productivity
- The economic possibilities in applying disease preventive measures
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain what antibiotics are and why antibiotic resistance develops on a basic level, and how antibiotic resistance affects animals and humans.
- Demonstrate understanding of the basics of infectious disease prevention.
- Identify simple measures that can be implemented on your farm, to reduce the need of antibiotics while sustaining (or increasing) livestock production.
- Explain when it is appropriate to use antibiotics and how to use them.
- Summarise how one can combine disease preventive measures and prudent use of antibiotics for productive and healthy animals on your farm.
- Reflect on what you and (other) livestock producers around the world think about the subject, and what differences and similarities there are.
Who is the course for?
This course is for livestock keepers and professionals working in the livestock production sector (such as veterinarians and advisors) in low-income countries and emerging economies worldwide. The course might also be of interest for agricultural authorities in those countries.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #AMRlivestock to talk about this course on social media.