Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $49
Introduction to Encryption and Cryptography
Discover the history of encryption and learn how it's used in the modern world
On this course, you will learn about what encryption is and understand its use in the past by using the Caesar and Vigenère ciphers.
You will also look at the present and future of encryption and investigate both symmetric and asymmetric encryption schemes.
The course includes several practical encryption activities which you can complete and use in your own classroom.
- A brief look at the history of encryption
- The encryption and decryption process, and the importance of keys
- The Caesar and Vigenère Ciphers
- Symmetric and asymmetric encryption schemes
- Public key encryption in the real world
- An introduction to quantum cryptography
Learning on this course
If you'd like to take part while our educators are leading the course, they'll be joining the discussions, in the comments, between these dates:
- 6 Sep 2021 - 26 Sep 2021
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the general process of encryption and decryption
- Apply a Caesar Cipher and a Vigenère Cipher
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different encryption algorithms
- Compare symmetric and asymmetric encryption
- Demonstrate methods of breaking simple encryption schemes
- Describe how encryption is used in the modern world, and some of the possible ethical implications of this
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for teachers delivering computer science lessons in the classroom, at GCSE level or equivalent.
What software or tools do you need?
There are several optional steps involving using Python to implement some forms of encryption. To complete these you will need a Python IDE, either on your computer, or an online one like Trinket
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.