According to the World Health Organisation, 1 in 160 children has an autism spectrum disorder. Evidence-based interventions can enhance communication and social behaviour, benefitting people with ASD and their caregivers.
This course seeks to help students to address practical issues in the lives of individuals who have autism. The course will benefit carers of people with autism as well as members of and practitioners in the Austim community. The course uses real scenarios, draws on students’ experiences and aims to foster a supportive network of parents and carers. It provides a practical framework, called the ‘person first’ approach for managing the challenges of supporting someone with autism. It also assists in provides a foundational understanding of autism for those interested in learning more about autism and some of its related challenges.
This course is part of our Study with Australia collection, with free upgrades and digital certificates supported by the Australian Trade and Investment Commission until 31st July, 2020. Explore more courses from leading Australian education providers.
- Introduction to autism
- The ‘person first’ approach
- Communication and the ‘define’ skill in the ‘person first’ approach
- Special interests and the ‘what if’ skill in the ‘person first’ approach
- Labels and the ‘making a plan’ skill
- Transitions and the ‘testing’ skill
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the “person first” approach to engaging with someone with Autism
- Apply the “person first” approach to making a plan for your context
- Interpret and empathically relate to the unique needs of someone with Autism
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for parents, carers, supporters and colleagues of people with autism.
Learners do not require prior experience or qualifications.
Who developed the course?
Swinburne is a top Australian university that develops career-ready graduates in business, health, science, design, technology and innovation. We are ranked within the top 3% of universities in the world. Explore our online courses.
- LocationMelbourne, Australia
- World rankingTop 370Source: ShanghaiRanking Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020
Swinburne University of Technology are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLsupportingautism to talk about this course on social media.