Weekly study2 hours
English in Early Childhood: Learning Language Through Play
Learn ways to support language development through play
This two-week course looks at how children learn and the importance of play in early childhood and the role of play in language development. The course has been produced by the British Council, providers of high-quality English language courses in over 100 countries.
How children learn
You’ll hear from educational experts, early years educators and English teachers talking about how children learn language and how child development affects language development and what the implications are for teachers and other early years practitioners.
The importance of play
The course will show you how vital it is for children to play, and how play is a form of learning.
You’ll learn how to provide an enriching play experience for the children in your care as well as ways to develop language through play. You’ll consider common problems and concerns when young children are acquiring language and learn how you can help and support them.
This course is part of Learning English in Early Childhood Development ExpertTrack, featuring a series of courses that will help you explore early childhood development and how you can help very young children learn English as an additional language.
- How children learn - key aspects of childhood development.
- How young children acquire language - exploring language development and what this means for children learning an additional language.
- Learning through play - the benefits and importance of play.
- Language development through play - create the right play environment to optimise learning.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Investigate how children learn and how they acquire language.
- Discuss the importance and benefits of play.
- Explore language development opportunities through play.
Who is the course for?
This course is for parents and practitioners who want to understand and assist young children in learning English as an additional language. It will suit you if you have an interest in early childhood development.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join: