Discover the power you hold to better serve the community you live in and explore the role of mentorship with the Compton Cowboys.
Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Exploring Mentorship and Community Change with the Compton Cowboys
Become the mentor and advocate for change that your community needs
This course, created in collaboration with Tommy Hilfiger, will equip you with the skills and self-belief you need to help your community thrive.
You’ll learn with LA’s Compton Cowboys, a 10-strong group of horseback riders using equestrian culture to positively influence inner-city youth and combat negative racial stereotypes in the LA area of Compton.
Make a difference in your community
The Compton Cowboys believe that anyone can impact their community and society in a positive way, and this course will help you do just that.
From local campaigns to sociopolitical movements, community mentorship lies at the heart of change.
This course will show you why widespread change begins in your own community, as well as what steps you can take to champion the social justice issues you care about.
Discover how to become a mentor and build a mentorship network
Learning through the personal stories and journeys of the Compton Cowboys, you’ll explore the history of black cowboys, race, and racial identity – as well as the power of mentorship.
As you consider the role of mentorship in combating social justice issues, you’ll learn why becoming a mentor is key to driving healthy change in the community you live in.
You’ll identify the attributes of a good mentor and start taking the steps to support your community through mentorship.
Find out what community engagement means for social justice and change
Through videos, articles, and real-life examples, you’ll build a toolkit of community engagement strategies that will help you redefine what community mentorship and change can look like.
You’ll learn practical ways of making impactful change in your community, and get to grips with what your role as a mentor or community advocate means in the context of larger social justice movements.
What topics will you cover?
- Community mentorship
- How to build mentorship networks
- Racial identity
- History of black cowboys
- Why mentorship matters
- How to become a mentor
- Redefining mentorship
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and join a global classroom of learners. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the impact of mentorship on a grass-roots level
- Interpret the need for positive role models
- The tools to scale passion from community-based action upwards
- Identify actions we can all take and further resources
Who is the course for?
This course is designed to give anyone who wants to drive positive change in their community a blueprint and complete understanding of what mentorship and community change can be.
Whatever life or career stage you’re at, this course will show you what you can become and who you can better serve through community mentorship.
|Ten childhood friends, on a mission to improve their community through horseback riding, providing local youth with a safe alternative to the streets. Their motto: “Streets raised us. Horses saved us.”|
Who will you learn with?
My name is Walter Thompson-Hernandez. I am a multimedia artist, writer, and director. I'm a former New York Times writer, NPR podcast host, and author of The Compton Cowboys book.
Tommy Hilfiger are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
More courses you might like
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.