Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Learn how to write a feature article
This four-week course will help you explore the feature landscape to help you understand the crucial difference between a news story and a feature.
You’ll learn how feature writers get their ideas as you discover the importance of research and valuable sources. With this understanding, you’ll put what you have learned into practice and complete an exercise to get the ideas flowing for your own feature.
Explore the vital ingredients for first-class feature articles
Delving into the key components of a feature article, you’ll learn the best techniques for interviewing people to help take your ideas and turn them into long-form pieces.
You’ll think about the value of originality and some of the ethical dilemmas you could face as a feature writer.
You’ll also examine different types of features to understand their common principles before being guided through a practical exercise to help you learn key structural tips.
Discover the art of writing an opinion piece
Finally, you’ll explore the opinionated side of journalism – reviews, opinion columns, and news-based blogs.
Having already explored the value of impartiality in journalism, you’ll understand the ethical and legal difficulties you could face when producing opinion pieces.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore features and where they appear
- Discuss idea-generation
- Explain how to prepare to interview people for features
- Describe feature construction, including narrative storytelling
- Investigate ideas for features
- Produce a pitch for a feature idea
- Explore opinion columns, reviews and blogs
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for aspiring writers or journalists with an interest in media reporting.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends