Weekly study7 hours
Finding an Appropriate Style: Formal and Informal Language
Choose the appropriate language for any occasion
This online English course takes you through how to choose the correct register in both written and oral English to suit the situation.
- Introduction to academic style
- Skills and tips for increasing your vocabulary range
- Review of spoken vs written language
- Noun phrases and phrasal verbs and when to use them
- Exploration of hedging and caution
- Using specific terminology to avoid vague language
- Communicating with your tutor - emails and meetings
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop a variety of hedging strategies to present cautious conclusions
- Identify degrees of formality in email communication
- Describe a number of informal language features in social English
- Recognise and apply the appropriate academic style in written and spoken texts
Who is the course for?
This course is for students on the Coventry University pre-sessional English award. It is relevant for students who will be continuing their studies online and on-campus.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.
What software or tools do you need?
To take part in this course you will need access to a computer or laptop with a webcam, a reliable internet connection, speakers, and a microphone.