Choose the appropriate language for any occasion
This online English course takes you through how to choose the correct register in both written and oral English to suit the situation.
- Introduction to academic style
- Skills and tips for increasing your vocabulary range
- Review of spoken vs written language
- Noun phrases and phrasal verbs and when to use them
- Exploration of hedging and caution
- Using specific terminology to avoid vague language
- Communicating with your tutor - emails and meetings
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop a variety of hedging strategies to present cautious conclusions
- Identify degrees of formality in email communication
- Describe a number of informal language features in social English
- Recognise and apply the appropriate academic style in written and spoken texts
Who is the course for?
This course is for students on the Coventry University pre-sessional English award. It is relevant for students who will be continuing their studies online and on-campus.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.