Weekly study3 hours
Improving Food Production with Agricultural Technology and Plant Biotechnology
Learn how to address challenges in growing, harvesting, and processing food
Are you inspired to join the next generation of scientists and tackle challenges in food security? On this course, you will get access to innovative research solutions that address some of the biggest issues in food, agriculture, and plant biotechnology.
You will become more familiar with the journey plants take, from crops in the field to food on your plate. You will explore the importance of scientific research in food security and discover the new technologies that are transforming agriculture.
Week One: Plant biotechnology
- Solutions to food production challenges (pathology, pests, environmental stress, climate change) e.g. genetics
- Alternatives to plant biotechnology e.g. biological control
Week Two: Agricultural technology
- Challenges in the field e.g. soil structure, climate, yield, disease
- A history of agricultural technology and today’s new technologies e.g. cutting-edge precision agriculture
Week Three: Food science
- Solutions for altering plant-based foods to create supermarket food products
- Examples of post-harvest food processing, e.g. creating pectins and sweeteners out of fruit by-products
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the challenges involved in growing, harvesting and processing plant-based food
- Explore the role of scientific research in addressing challenges in food security
- Debate the opportunities and limitations of new technologies
- Reflect on consumer trust in the science and technology involved in bringing food from the field to the supermarket
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for 16-19 year olds studying biology related STEM subjects at A level or undergraduate level. It will also appeal to adults interested in the technology behind food production.
Endorsers and supporters
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.