Weekly study3 hours
Foundations in Resilience, Security and Emerging Technology
Discover the factors that affect society’s ability to be resilient
There are various constraints, influences, and challenging conditions that affect society’s ability to build resilience. On this course, you will be introduced to the primary challenges of creating a resilient society.
You will examine the role of governance in building resilience and the impact of emerging technologies on future resilience. You will also have the opportunity to look at the risks that stakeholders might identify in relation to resilience challenges.
What topics will you cover?
- Understanding resilience
- Key ideas and issues
- The impact of emerging technologies on future resilience
- Risk characterisation
- The role of governance in building resilience
- Different governance strategies
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Evaluate the meaning of resilience
- Discuss the basic nexus between resilience, security and emerging technologies
- Assess different viewpoints for the potential to build resilience
- Identify key topics that influence resilience
- Explore our ability to perceive and interpret risk
- Identify the relationship between governance and resilience
- Discuss why resilience is an important issue as the future of society is planned and engineered for secure, safe and sensible national communities
- Explore the role which resilience plays in conjunction with security and emerging technologies in building future national communities
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in exploring the key challenges of building a resilient society.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
Who will you learn with?
Ast. professor and practitioner in crisis management, risk, BCM, security and resilience. A recipient of 3 awards having worked across 49 countries. https://www.linkedin.com/in/wayne-harrop-2b54b83/
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn