This course is part of the Intermediate French: La Francophonie (People, Places, and Events) ExpertTrack
Intermediate French: People and Places
Gain an introduction to the physical and human geography of France and explore the language used to speak about them.
Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/monthFind out more
Intermediate French: People and Places
Extend your vocabulary as your virtual French journey continues
On this four-week course, you’ll continue your travels through different parts of France with your virtual guides, who will help you discover more interesting facts about the country’s geography and population. You’ll learn to talk about a wider variety of rural and urban places and environments in greater depth.
Through activities, articles, and audio clips, you’ll explore the rich geographical environment of France to learn how it developed and is still evolving today.
Discover new skills to extend your French language skills further
You’ll discover constructions and expressions used to make comparisons, qualify statements, and quantify phenomena such as population figures and densities. This will not only widen your knowledge of France and the French-speaking world but also your ability to use the language in a broader range of situations. You’ll take part in activities to develop your listening skills, helping you to better understand spoken French.
You’ll be encouraged to read a variety of French online source materials whilst researching a specific region in more detail, building on what you discovered in the first course of this ExpertTrack.
Develop your intercultural communication skills
As you progress through this course, you’ll transition from being a language learner to being a competent user of French by building the language skills needed to hold natural conversations about topics like the weather, places, and people.
You’ll also have the opportunity to apply your research and language skills to write a short case study of a French-speaking region.
What topics will you cover?
- Describing the physical geography of a country or region
- Describing different built environments
- Discovering processes of urbanisation and demographic change in France
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Improve your ability to understand written and spoken French
- Develop your confidence to communicate in French through speech and writing
- Apply and consolidate your understanding of basic French grammar and increase your receptive and productive vocabulary
- Explore and broaden your knowledge of the physical and human geography of France
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those with a good basic knowledge of French (fully at Level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference ‘Elementary’) who want to improve their French language skills and deepen their knowledge of French culture.
Who will you learn with?
Dr. Bill Alder is an Associate Lecturer in French at The Open University and has contributed to numerous French language modules. He has a special interest in French-language crime fiction.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.