Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Intermediate French: People and Places
Extend your vocabulary as your virtual French journey continues
On this four-week course, you’ll continue your travels through different parts of France with your virtual guides, who will help you discover more interesting facts about the country’s geography and population. You’ll learn to talk about a wider variety of rural and urban places and environments in greater depth.
Through activities, articles, and audio clips, you’ll explore the rich geographical environment of France to learn how it developed and is still evolving today.
Discover new skills to extend your French language skills further
You’ll discover constructions and expressions used to make comparisons, qualify statements, and quantify phenomena such as population figures and densities. This will not only widen your knowledge of France and the French-speaking world but also your ability to use the language in a broader range of situations. You’ll take part in activities to develop your listening skills, helping you to better understand spoken French.
You’ll be encouraged to read a variety of French online source materials whilst researching a specific region in more detail, building on what you discovered in the first course of this ExpertTrack.
Develop your intercultural communication skills
As you progress through this course, you’ll transition from being a language learner to being a competent user of French by building the language skills needed to hold natural conversations about topics like the weather, places, and people.
You’ll also have the opportunity to apply your research and language skills to write a short case study of a French-speaking region.
- Describing the physical geography of a country or region
- Describing different built environments
- Discovering processes of urbanisation and demographic change in France
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Improve your ability to understand written and spoken French
- Develop your confidence to communicate in French through speech and writing
- Apply and consolidate your understanding of basic French grammar and increase your receptive and productive vocabulary
- Explore and broaden your knowledge of the physical and human geography of France
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those with a good basic knowledge of French (fully at Level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference ‘Elementary’) who want to improve their French language skills and deepen their knowledge of French culture.
Who developed the course?
As the UK’s largest university, The Open University (OU) supports thousands of students to achieve their goals and ambitions via supported distance learning, helping to fit learning around professional and personal life commitments.
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends