Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 5 of 5
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
The Future of Life
Will humans become multi-planet species one day?
On this three-week course, Dr Louisa Preston reflects on everything you’ve learned throughout this ExpertTrack to answer the question, what does all this mean for human life in the future?
Take a trip back through cosmic evolution
The Big Bang. The origin of life. The development of intelligence. These are all key points of our evolution in a cosmic context and understanding these moments can help us to unlock the secrets of the universe.
You’ll start this course by examining where we came from evolutionarily and how this knowledge helps us to understand our place in the universe; how our past and present can help us to contemplate our future.
Go beyond Earth to build a space colony among the stars
As we make huge technological advances, it’s only natural that humankind would start to look outside our atmosphere towards the prospect of colonising other planets and moons.
This course will take you through some of the reasons and justifications for our move to other planets, considering both a partial migration and an entire switching of planets. You’ll then look at the practical considerations and steps required to move humankind to the moon, before taking the leap to create a strategy for colonising Mars.
Explore climate change and why space exploration is vital to civilisation’s survival
Human civilisation currently faces many threats such as climate change, disease, overpopulation, and even asteroids.
You’ll finish this course by looking at the challenges that humankind needs to overcome and the mistakes that have caused some of these threats.
Then you’ll have everything you need to consider what the future of life looks like? And is the colonisation of other worlds essential to the continued survival of humans?
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe evolution in a cosmic context
- Discuss the threats to the survival of a civilisation
- Compare reasons and strategies for our switching planets
- Summarise the considerations and steps required to move to the Moon
- Create a strategy for colonisation of Mars
- Investigate the history behind climate change and identify challenges we need to overcome
- Discuss the mistakes we’ve made and our likelihood to make them again
- Describe ways our investigation into the space environment can help our lives on earth and beyond
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in the fundamentals of astrobiology, particularly the future of life on Earth and beyond.
It will be especially useful to university applicants looking to identify areas that they’d like to specialise in and STEM teachers looking to bring science to life for their students.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends