Discover the basics of genealogy and build your own family tree
On this free online course, you’ll develop an understanding of basic genealogy techniques and how to communicate your family history.
We do not concentrate on a specific country’s records so it should be useful to anyone around the world.
You’ll consider how to effectively find and analyse sources and explore the potential of DNA testing as applied to genealogy.
We’ll help you add historical context to your family history and discuss how to record and communicate research findings in a clear fashion.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Design a research plan for tracing family history.
- Apply key techniques used when searching for and analysing genealogical records.
- Describe the differences between genealogical source types and why they may cause problems for the researcher.
- Develop an awareness of the use of historic and social context in family history research.
- Develop an understanding of the ways in which genealogical information can be recorded and communicated.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone with an interest in genealogy.
The course will be suitable if you:
- have no experience with genealogy or family history research;
- have some experience with genealogical research but want to develop your skills and knowledge further;
- are a more experienced genealogical researcher but want to learn new searching, analytical or communication techniques or
- find it difficult to access opportunities for training and development.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLgenealogy to talk about this course on social media.