Genomics in the NHS: A Clinician's Guide to Genomic Testing for Cancer (Solid Tumours)
Learn how to use genomic tests to improve care for your cancer patients
The wide-scale availability of genomic sequencing in the NHS brings many possibilities for patients but means new concepts, systems, and processes for clinicians.
On this two-week course from NHS England, you’ll develop an understanding of the different types of genomic testing for solid tumours – from single gene tests to whole genome sequencing – and walk through the application of this testing in clinical practice.
Through interactive media, expert interviews, patient perspectives, and more, you’ll be guided through the cancer pathway to help you become confident in working with genomic tests.
Learn how to access the National Genomic Test Directory
You’ll start by exploring the UK’s cancer landscape to help you gain diverse insights from both patients and healthcare professionals.
You’ll also cover the multitude of test types available within the NHS and learn how to access them through the National Genomic Test Directory.
Explore the scope of genomic tests on offer
Next, you’ll look in more detail at the solid tumour pathway, including choosing the right test for the right patient at the right time as well as the process of ordering tests and acting on results.
Improve your cancer treatment with Health Education England
The course has been designed by expert clinicians and members of the NHS Genomics Education Programme.
Armed with their specialist knowledge, you’ll finish the course with the confidence to interpret and act on genomic test reports.
Free upgrade for UK NHS staff
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Evaluate the changing healthcare landscape in terms of the infrastructure surrounding, and democratisation of, genomic testing.
- Identify when genomic investigations may benefit your patients.
- Explain the scope of genomic tests on offer in the NHS Genomic Medicine Service, including when key tests may be used.
- Navigate the National Genomic Test Directory and NHS GMS Signed Off Panels Resource to apply the most relevant genomic test(s) to your clinical case.
- Identify and order the relevant genomic test(s) for your patient(s), using the correct forms and providing the correct samples.
- Confidently interpret and act on genomic test reports you may receive from the laboratory, considering action for the whole family as well as the individual patient.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for clinicians involved in ordering genomic tests in the NHS, specifically relating to cancer.
It is especially beneficial for professionals who are less confident or familiar with the process.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.