Weekly study3 hours
GP Training: Goal-setting for Patients Living with Multimorbidity
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Introduce goal-setting to improve the lives of those living with multimorbidity
On this course, you will discover the practice of goal setting in a primary care context.
You will learn what goal-setting is and how it can help those living with multimorbidity. Through three interactive sessions, you will you explore and understand the different steps of goal-setting and learn how to put it into practice with your patients.
You will be supported by experts, as you reflect on the benefits and challenges of the practice and evaluate your own readiness to become a goal-setting GP.
- A definition of goal-setting and its role in managing patients living with multimorbidity
- The three key steps in the goal-setting process:- patient preparation, eliciting goals, and collaborative action planning
- Putting goal-setting into practice with your own patients
- Reflecting on the experience of goal-setting and dealing with challenges
- Follow-up and review of goal attainment
Date to be announced
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Recognise the role of patient preparation in the (initiation of) the goal-setting process
- Explore approaches to eliciting and legitimising goals through active listening and recognising patient cues
- Describe how to work collaboratively with patients to agree specific and realistic goals
- Apply learning to clinical practice with patients
- Evaluate the experience of applying goal-setting to real world practice
- Explore challenges to goal setting
- Identify how to discuss and record ongoing goal attainment over time with patients living with multimorbidity
- Summarise the goal-setting process
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for GPs of all levels (GP trainees, newly trained, qualified or experienced in general practice) looking to use goal-setting with patients living with multiple long term conditions.
This project is accredited by the Royal College of General Practitioners and supported by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care East of England Programme. The views expressed are those of the author(s) and not necessarily those of the NIHR or the Department of Health and Social Care.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.