- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $69
Challenges in Antibiotic Resistance: Gram Negative Bacteria
Identify, diagnose and treat gram negative bacterial infections.
Gram negative bacteria (GNB) are a group of bacteria that can cause infection and toxic reaction in patients, yet are difficult to differentiate and treat with antibiotics due to their structure.
This online course - led by experts from the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (BSAC) - looks at this challenge. You’ll explore the microbiology of gram-negative bacteria, and find out how to identify, classify, diagnose and treat GNB infections.
You’ll also look at occurrences of GNB and antibiotic resistance worldwide, and understand the impact they have on health and economic outcomes.
What topics will you cover?
- The microbiology of Gram Negative Bacteria to enable diagnosis of infections.
- The identification and classification of clinical infections associated with common Gram Negative Bacteria
- The occurrence of resistance - epidemiology and basic mechanisms of resistance, locally and globally.
- The key objectives and principles of treatment, including negative consequences.
- The appropriateness of treatment agents.
- The burden and impact of GNB infections on health and economic outcomes.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the microbiology of Gram Negative Bacteria.
- Assess the occurrence of resistance - epidemiology and basic mechanisms of resistance locally and globally.
- Identify and classify clinical infections associated with common Gram Negative Bacteria.
- Evaluate the burden and impact of Gram Negative Bacterial infections on health and economic outcomes.
- Compare the key objectives and principles of the treatment options available including the negative consequences.
- Explore the basic microbiology requirements to diagnose GNB infections.
- Evaluate the appropriateness of treatment agents - stewardship for GNB infections.
- Summarise the current treatment options available.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for healthcare professionals who are responsible for infection management.
See all FutureLearn Reviews
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #BSACGNB to talk about this course on social media.