Challenges in Antibiotic Resistance: Gram Negative Bacteria
Identify, diagnose and treat gram negative bacterial infections.
Gram negative bacteria (GNB) are a group of bacteria that can cause infection and toxic reaction in patients, yet are difficult to differentiate and treat with antibiotics due to their structure.
This online course - led by experts from the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (BSAC) - looks at this challenge. You’ll explore the microbiology of gram-negative bacteria, and find out how to identify, classify, diagnose and treat GNB infections.
You’ll also look at occurrences of GNB and antibiotic resistance worldwide, and understand the impact they have on health and economic outcomes.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the microbiology of Gram Negative Bacteria.
- Assess the occurrence of resistance - epidemiology and basic mechanisms of resistance locally and globally.
- Identify and classify clinical infections associated with common Gram Negative Bacteria.
- Evaluate the burden and impact of Gram Negative Bacterial infections on health and economic outcomes.
- Compare the key objectives and principles of the treatment options available including the negative consequences.
- Explore the basic microbiology requirements to diagnose GNB infections.
- Evaluate the appropriateness of treatment agents - stewardship for GNB infections.
- Summarise the current treatment options available.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for healthcare professionals who are responsible for infection management.
What software or tools do you need?
No special resources are required for this course.
Endorsers and supporters
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.