Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Groupthink: Understanding the Need for a Diverse Workplace
Explore how groupthink affects diversity and inclusion
Groupthink is defined as ‘the practice of thinking or making decisions as a group, resulting typically in unchallenged, poor-quality decision-making’.
With the creative industries being primarily dominated by young, white, middle to upper class, heterosexual males, groupthink can be a massive problem for the industry.
On this two-week course from Livity, you’ll delve into the concept of groupthink, learning about its potentially negative consequences on the creative industry and how you might foster positive alternatives.
Discuss whether groupthink can ever be positive
There is a difference between groupthink and group thinking. In fact, there are many examples throughout history of groups coming together to affect positive change.
You’ll explore the effects of groupthink, both negative and positive, with a focus on how it affects diversity in the workplace. Then, you’ll look at alternatives to groupthink and how an organisation can best transition to a more diverse approach to group thinking.
Analyse the current state of diversity in the workplace
The creative industry can’t expect to create inclusive work if it’s not inclusive. If research, development, and creative processes are not inclusive by design, we are not serving our customers and therefore cannot make the best work possible.
This course will guide you through diversity in the workplace as it currently stands, from ethnic and gender diversity to socio-economic disparity. You’ll then discuss ways to shape an organisation’s structure to better avoid groupthink.
Discover strategies to mitigate groupthink
At the end of this course, you’ll learn how to create solutions to mitigate or foster different forms of groupthink on management, team, and individual levels, and then how to apply and encourage your methods.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss the definition of groupthink.
- Explore events that were affected by groupthink.
- Debate other learners' opinions on groupthink.
- Compare groupthink to group thinking.
- Critique other learners' debating techniques and logical structures.
- Explore each symptom of groupthink.
- Apply strategies to mitigate the symptoms of groupthink.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone wanting to contribute to and foster diversity in their processes, specifically within creative industries.
You may find it especially useful if you’re looking to hire a diverse team, whether you’re the founder of a creative start-up, part of a HR team, or in a senior leadership position at a creative agency.
Who developed the course?
We’re living through the greatest uncertainty of our lifetimes. But it’s not a blip — it’s the new reality of constant disruption. And the next generation are putting on notice the brands and institutions who don’t play their part in making it better.
LIVITY is a creative business that works hand in hand with brands and the next generation to build the future better. Built in co-creation with our next gen network, our courses will build your relationship with your future audience.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends