Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $59
Higher Education 4.0: Certifying Your Future
Explore new university accreditation models and pedagogical approaches
This course explores the changing nature of higher education through the lens of the ECIU University initiative.
On this three-week course, you’ll reflect on major educational trends impacting higher education today and consider how universities can be ‘future-fit’ in our increasingly digital world.
You’ll also evaluate how higher educators, policy-makers, and governments should respond beyond the COVID-19 crisis.
Prepare for new employment trends
Social, technological, and employment trends and innovation are all significantly impacting the higher education sector today.
You’ll explore the challenges these changes pose, as well as how they’re shaping the European Skills Agenda – a five-year skills development plan for individuals and businesses based on strengthening sustainable competitiveness, ensuring social fairness, and building resilience in crises.
Discover emerging higher education pedagogies
You’ll study new and emerging pedagogies, and learn how they can be used to better prepare today’s students for the workplace.
You’ll also gain expert insight into authentic, learning-centred approaches, including how they can be used to provide efficient and effective frameworks for deep, meaningful, and impactful new forms of learning.
Explore new approaches to higher education
The rise of microcredentials is recognising diverse skills and providing new pathways for lifelong learning.
You’ll consider why traditional credentials are no longer entirely fit for purpose, and identify the value and potential of these new shorter offerings.
The final sections of the course will ask you to examine cases and examples of how ECIU partner universities are responding to embrace transformative disruptions and explore new digital learning models.
The course explores three key themes which each address the overarching question: What will the university of the future look like? In exploring this question the course is structured around central core topics. You will explore…
- How changing social, technological and employment trends are impacting the higher educational sector
- The potential of new approaches to credentialing, including micro-credentials, as a means of recognising diverse skills and providing new pathways for lifelong/life-wide learning
- New and emerging authentic pedagogies as vehicles for bridging and border-crossing between universities, industry partners and community groups in preparing 21st Century learners
- Case studies of how ECIU partner universities are responding to embrace transformative disruptions exploring new digital models and pedagogical approaches with different stakeholder perspectives.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the importance and challenges of defining new future skills
- Consider how to conceptualise these skills in a changing world, including the possibility of micro-credentials as representations of new forms of learning
- Explore how to assess the quality, scalability and credibility of various types of credential
- Learn about innovative and applied case studies from DCU, at which a learning-centred pedagogical model has been designed and implemented
- Explore diverse perspectives on these future challenges and the demands for new, flexible forms of certified learning
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in conversations around the future of universities, as well as a desire to understand new accreditation/certification models, and pedagogical approaches.
This may include educators working in universities as well as academic staff at educational institutions.
The National Institute for Digital Learning (NIDL) aims to be a world leader at the forefront and leading edge of new Blended, On-Line and Digital (BOLD) models of education. We have an ambitious mission of transforming lives and societies by exploring new BOLD and innovative approaches to teaching, learning and assessment for better and more imaginative futures - for all.
Endorsers and supporters
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.