Find out more about the degree.
Diabetes is recognised as the world’s fastest-growing chronic condition, with an estimated 422 million people living with it worldwide.
This online course draws on up-to-date research, and the real-life experiences of clinicians and people with diabetes, to address the question: “What is diabetes?”
You’ll explore the history, types, causes and treatment of diabetes and get a free taste of Deakin University’s postgraduate degree in Diabetes Education, which can be done entirely on FutureLearn.
This course provided learners with an understanding of:
- epidemiology of diabetes
- diagnosing and classifying diabetes
- different types of diabetes and their methods of treatment
- the role of insulin in normal metabolism
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the incidence and global distribution of diabetes
- Develop an understanding of the differences between the different forms of diabetes
- Identify the symptoms and effects of diabetes
- Develop an understanding of the relationship between exercise, nutrition and blood glucose
- Explain insulin function and insulin resistance
Who is the course for?
This course is targeted at:
- people wanting to understand the causes, types and treatment of diabetes
- health professionals wanting to reduce the prevalence and impact of diabetes.