Skip to 0 minutes and 1 second You probably use a computer every single day. From smartphones, to laptops, games consoles, to cars. Even your fridge might have a computer inside it. Have you ever wondered how computers work? Perhaps you’re an educator teaching computer science to your own students. If so, this course can help. (SINGING) Yeah! So join us for the next four weeks as we explore the mathematics, electronics, and history of computing. Sign up now at rpf.io/howcomputerswork.
Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $49
How Computers Work: Demystifying Computation
Understand computation, the basis of every computer system
On this course, you’ll gain an understanding of how computers work at a fundamental level.
You’ll explore system architecture, along with how computers use binary and logic. Once you’ve examined the von Neumann model of computer architecture and the Fetch-Execute cycle, you’ll learn to build a range of simple circuits for maths, and then simulate various logic gates.
Ultimately you’ll complete the course with an understanding of the processes that underpin every modern computer – from supercomputers to smartphones, and everything in between.
- How computers use binary arithmetic
- How transistors can act as digital switches and be combined to create logic gates
- Creating truth tables for AND, NOT and OR gates, individually or combined
- How logic gates can be combined to produce digital circuits that can perform a calculation
- Von Neuman Architecture and the Fetch-Execute cycle
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain how transistors can act as digital switches and be combined to create logic gates
- Produce truth tables for AND, NOT and OR gates, individually or combined
- Explain how computers use binary arithmetic
- Describe how logic gates can be combined to produce digital circuits that can perform a calculation
- Describe Von Neuman Architecture and the Fetch-Execute cycle
Who is the course for?
This course would suit teachers of KS3 and GCSE Computer Science - plus educators from other countries that teach at an equivalent level.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.