Humanitarian Action, Response and Relief
Explore the fundamentals of humanitarian action
A timely and efficient humanitarian response can save lives during emergencies and disasters. A good knowledge of emergency preparedness and disaster management is vital, not only for saving lives but for building a career in the humanitarian sector.
On this course, you will explore theoretical and practical perspectives of humanitarian response. Examining the wider humanitarian context and the disaster management cycle, you will develop the knowledge and specialist skills required for working in humanitarian crises.
- The humanitarian origin in the Red Cross movement
- The Geneva Convention, Hague Conventions and the UDHR
- Ethics of humanitarian work
- Key concepts/terminology for humanitarian operations – NGOs, agencies
- Humanitarian space
- The landscape of the main actors in humanitarian response
- Anticipation and disaster assessments: types of assessments, the purpose of assessments and assessing capacities, rapid assessments and considerations
- Cluster systems
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the historical background and contextual issues that inform humanitarian approaches
- Explore the theoretical underpinning that shapes many humanitarian relief operations
- Explore the key principles and values that underpin responses to emergencies and humanitarian action
- Evaluate the impact of a range of humanitarian relief responses on the experiences of disaster-affected populations
Who is the course for?
This course is for individuals working in the humanitarian sector who need to refresh their knowledge and individuals looking to work in the humanitarian sector. It will also be useful for those who manage and evaluate services within the humanitarian sector.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Advance your career with a degree
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.