Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
An Introduction to Innovation in Healthcare
Discover the tools needed for healthcare innovation
On this four-week course from the University of Bath and the West of England AHSN, you’ll be introduced to some of the tools and techniques that individuals and teams can use to develop and refine new products, processes, and services. By the end of the course, you’ll be equipped to initiate and support innovation initiatives in your own organisation.
Understand how to take innovation from idea to realisation
When developing innovation, there are concepts and techniques that you can use to aid the process. This course will guide you through the innovation journey, from spotting opportunities for innovation to conducting research and generating ideas.
You’ll then look at innovation in practice and the key steps involved in the process. This section will take you through developing and testing initiatives, sizing the market and mapping competition, and the project planning aspects.
Explore the implementation of healthcare innovation
Innovation often isn’t just a one-person job; it takes strong teamwork and collaboration to ideate and implement innovation. This course will take you through the importance of these skills, as well as how individuals, teams, and organisations are encouraged to develop an innovation mindset.
You’ll also consider the obstacles and challenges that have to be overcome to bring healthcare innovation to market, as well as the factors that influence the successful adoption and diffusion of healthcare innovations.
Learn from the experts at the University of Bath
The course is developed by the University of Bath, drawing on the expertise of its School of Management and the West of England AHSN, which is able to link to all the key players in the area of health and care innovation across the region.
The course aims to approach the challenges of healthcare innovation, while signposting useful tools and techniques. This course is not designed to cover all the aspects of healthcare innovation, but rather is designed to introduce learners to some of the core concepts and tools used in this field.
- Week 1 defines the key concepts associated with the process of innovation and diffusion. We will also discuss the importance of, and opportunities for, innovation.
- Week 2 examines how individuals and organisations can develop, test, and make the case for their healthcare innovation.
- Week 3 considers the organisational and financial hurdles that must be overcome in order to bring healthcare invention to the market. We will also examine how to evaluate healthcare innovation.
- Finally, Week 4 examines how innovation can be spread and sustained, concluding our course.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Understand the need to engage in innovation.
- Understand and apply the key steps involved to take an innovation from idea to realisation.
- Evaluate how individuals and organisations might be encouraged to develop an innovation mindset.
- Understand the importance of teamwork and collaboration.
- Evaluate the challenges of healthcare innovation in relation to your own organisation.
- Recognise healthcare innovation initiatives.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone looking to understand the process and challenges of innovation in healthcare. It will be of special interest to health practitioners, clinicians, health and social managers, and commissioners and innovators from the commercial sector.
It will be especially valuable if you work in health and social care as it will enable you to apply theories and approaches in your own workplace.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.