Weekly study10 hours
Intelligence Gathering and Scanning
Learn the key steps in intelligence gathering and scanning of a target
One of the most important steps of penetration testing is intelligence gathering. This short course will show you how to profile your targets using Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) and Google Hacking, before moving onto scanning and fingerprinting in order to find potential vulnerable targets and attack vectors.
- Passive intelligence gathering
- Google Hacking
- Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) techniques
- Port scanning and fingerprinting
- Automated vulnerability audit tools (OpenVAS/Nessus)
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate knowledge of open source tools for intelligence gathering
- Explore how freely available information (ie information available via Google) can be used to develop an understanding of people and organisations
- Explore how to get information on the physical structure of a target network
- Collect and analyse information to determine attack vectors
Who is the course for?
The course is for MSc Cyber Security students.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
What software or tools do you need?
Kali Linux and a web browser.