Weekly study3 hours
Pre-Contract Management for Construction Projects: The Basics
Get to grips with pre-contract management in construction
On this course you will get an introduction to pre-contract management practices for construction projects. You will have the opportunity to explore what constitutes procurement and learn the structure of the project stages (according to the RIBA Plan of Work) and how to estimate their cost.
You will also get the chance to build your knowledge of various procurement options and explore the tendering stage: addressing what elements need to be considered when preparing a Bill of Quantities (BoQ), such as taking off and working up.
- What is procurement?
- Project stages: RIBA plan of work
- Review of procurement strategies: traditional, design and build, management contracting, construction management and partnering
- Tendering: the next important decision – identify/contact suitable organisation to provide the necessary services, expertise and resources
- Bill of Quantities (BoQ): process of preparing BoQ, taking off, working up
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe exactly what is ‘procurement’
- Discuss the various procurement strategy options available: traditional, design and build, management contracting, construction management and partnering
- Identify the RIBA work stages within the plan of work with an emphasis on understanding the relationship with the cost estimating stages
Who is the course for?
This course is for students, recent graduates or construction professionals engaged in construction cost and project management, civil and structural engineering, architectural technology, surveying and building services or engineering.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.