- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $74
Pre-Contract Management for Construction Projects: The Basics
Get to grips with pre-contract management in construction
On this course you will get an introduction to pre-contract management practices for construction projects. You will have the opportunity to explore what constitutes procurement and learn the structure of the project stages (according to the RIBA Plan of Work) and how to estimate their cost.
You will also get the chance to build your knowledge of various procurement options and explore the tendering stage: addressing what elements need to be considered when preparing a Bill of Quantities (BoQ), such as taking off and working up.
- What is procurement?
- Project stages: RIBA plan of work
- Review of procurement strategies: traditional, design and build, management contracting, construction management and partnering
- Tendering: the next important decision – identify/contact suitable organisation to provide the necessary services, expertise and resources
- Bill of Quantities (BoQ): process of preparing BoQ, taking off, working up
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe exactly what is ‘procurement’
- Discuss the various procurement strategy options available: traditional, design and build, management contracting, construction management and partnering
- Identify the RIBA work stages within the plan of work with an emphasis on understanding the relationship with the cost estimating stages
Who is the course for?
This course is for students, recent graduates or construction professionals engaged in construction cost and project management, civil and structural engineering, architectural technology, surveying and building services or engineering.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #precontractmanagement to talk about this course on social media.