Duration 6 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Extra benefits From $64 Find out more
Why join the course?
The course addresses four major evidence types: drugs of abuse, DNA, firearms and impression evidence, and discusses these through the exploration of a case-based scenario presented across a six-week modular framework.
You will learn forensic science through a theoretical murder case set on the murky shores of Loch Lomond. As the case unfolds each week, a number of evidence types, and the forensic science approaches that may be used to evaluate the evidence, are explored. All will be revealed in the final week, so make sure you are there to find out the identity of the murderer!
What topics will you cover?
- Explore the methods underpinning forensic science, from crime scene investigation to reporting evidential value within a case
- Examine the four major evidence types: drugs of abuse, DNA, firearms and impression evidence
- Learn how the initial crime scene is processed
- Review various types of evidence including drugs of abuse, fingerprints, DNA, footwear marks and firearms
- Formulate (and defend!) opinions on the case, based on your evaluation of the evidence
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
No special knowledge or previous experience of studying is required, just a desire to learn forensic science. Warning: Some of content presented in this course may be distressing to individuals, particularly younger learners. Notwithstanding, the material is representative of that encountered by forensic scientists and we have presented it in an objective and professional manner.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLForensic to talk about this course on social media.