Irish 101: An Introduction to Irish Language and Culture
Duration 4 weeks
Weekly study 4 hours
Engage with Irish culture and history through language
Engage with Irish culture and history through language Ireland is home to a unique language and a vibrant Gaelic culture.
On this course, you’ll discover how Irish people drew inspiration from nature to create their own unique script and alphabet.
You’ll explore Ireland’s rich culture of dance, Gaelic games, music, storytelling and literature, and gain an insight into the language of Ireland and the people who speak it.
So take the first step on your journey to learn Irish, one of the oldest literary languages in Europe.
Bígí linn – join us!
What topics will you cover?
- Introduction to the Irish language
- Ogham and the first writing in Irish
- The alphabet & pronunciation
- Greetings, blessings and curses
- Irish names and mythology
- Me, my family and where I come from
- An overview of the Gaeltachtaí and other cultural places in Ireland
- Numbers and counting
- The home and social life
- Amenities, directions and Gaelic sport
When would you like to start?
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone interested in learning about Irish language, history and culture.
Who will you learn with?
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLIrish101 to talk about this course on social media.