Engage with Irish culture and history through language
Ireland is home to a unique language and a vibrant Gaelic culture.
On this course, you’ll discover how Irish people drew inspiration from nature to create their own unique script and alphabet.
You’ll explore Ireland’s rich culture of dance, Gaelic games, music, storytelling and literature. And you’ll gain an insight into the language of Ireland and the people who speak it.
So take the first step on your journey to learn one of the oldest literary languages in Europe.
Bígí linn – join us!
Introduction to the Irish language
Ogham and the first writing in Irish
The alphabet & pronunciation
Greetings, blessings and curses
Irish names and mythology
Me, my family and where I come from
An overview of the Gaeltachtaí and other cultural places in Ireland
Numbers and counting
The home and social life
Amenities, directions and Gaelic sport
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Engage with the Irish language through culture
- Explore the beginnings of the written language through learning about OGHAM and the origins of the Irish alphabet
- Discuss greetings, blessings and curses in the Irish language
- Discuss where you and your people come from
- Describe your family, your home and your interests
- Compare Irish names and gain an understanding of naming conventions in Irish
- Explore the cultural association of the language with mythology, sport and music
- Identify the Gaeltachtaí or Irish speaking areas where Irish is the main language of communication
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone interested in Irish language, history and culture.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLIrish101 to talk about this course on social media.