Weekly study7 hours
Listening for Success at University
Develop listening strategies for success at university
This online course from Coventry University prepares you for the range of events at university where you will need to use your listening skills.
You will unpack the common features of speech that can make listening difficult and develop skills and strategies that you can use in any academic environment.
Whether you will be studying online or on campus, you’ll be able to apply the skills developed in this course to your learning.
- Introduction to listening at university
- Feaures of listening texts to support note-taking/address difficulties in listening
- Structure and language of lectures/presentations
- Note-taking strategies
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate an ability to comprehend listening texts in a range of listening contexts.
- Produce effective notes and use these to respond appropriately to academic tasks.
- Identify common lecture or presentation structures, including recognising typical language for organising lectures.
Who is the course for?
This course is for students on the Coventry University pre-sessional English award. It is relevant for students who will be continuing their studies online and on-campus.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.
What software or tools do you need?
To take part in this course you will need access to a computer or laptop with a webcam, a reliable internet connection, speakers, and a microphone.