Weekly study3 hours
Maths Subject Knowledge: Understanding Numbers
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Improve your subject knowledge of numbers as part of the maths curriculum
We use numbers every day, but do we really appreciate how they work?
There are lots of fascinating connections and patterns to explore once you delve into the mathematical structure of how simple numbers work.
On this course, you will develop an understanding of the underlying mathematical structure of everyday mathematics.
You will learn why mathematical methods work and find the connections between different areas of maths so that you can appreciate the interconnected nature of different maths topics.
- The history of numbers and different types of numbers
- Working in different number bases
- Factors, multiples and prime numbers
- The order in which we perform calculations
- Exact answers
- Number sequences
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore how the number system we use every day actually works
- Investigate patterns created when exploring factors of numbers, multiples of numbers and prime factorisation of numbers
- Explain when and why two negatives make a positive
- Describe the order in which operations are performed
- Explore a variety of different number sequences
Who is the course for?
This course is specifically designed for secondary school teachers and educators who are not specialised in maths, but who are wanting to learn mathematical methods and improve their understanding of the subject.
It’s particularly suitable for new teachers and those studying teaching as a profession. Primary school teachers may find this course useful to understand how the mathematics curriculum progresses further in secondary school.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.