Psychology and Mental Health: Beyond Nature and Nurture
Duration 6 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Why join the course?
Psychological therapies and the work of clinical psychologists are now very popular. This free online course provides an introduction to how psychologists understand emotions, behaviours and thinking patterns, and how this helps clinical psychologists make sense of their clients’ problems.
Over six weeks, you will explore some of the current challenges and debates in the area of diagnosis and treatment, and discover new ways of thinking psychologically about mental health.
You will gain new perspectives on the “nature vs nurture” debate, and understand how we are affected by life experiences. You will also discuss new research, which promises to help us improve our own mental health and well-being.
You will learn with Peter Kinderman, Professor of Clinical Psychology at the University of Liverpool, and author of “A Prescription for Psychiatry: Why We Need a Whole New Approach to Mental Health and Wellbeing.”
You can find out more about this course in Peter’s post for the FutureLearn blog: “Rethinking mental health and well-being.”
What topics will you cover?
- The impact of biological and neurological traits on mental health and well-being
- The impact social elements have on mental health and well-being
- The extent to which life events can impact on how we act
- The role that rumination plays in well being and mental health
- Evidence-based suggestions as to how we might all protect and improve our mental health and well-being
- The design of mental health services form a non-medical perspective
When would you like to start?
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone who wishes to understand more about psychology, about mental health or who wishes to maintain their own mental health and well-being.
Who will you learn with?
Buy a personalised, digital and printed certificate and transcript
Certificate of Achievement + transcript $79.00
Statement of Participation $49.00
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLmentalhealth to talk about this course on social media.