Weekly study3 hours
Psychology and Mental Health: Beyond Nature and Nurture
Psychological therapies and the work of clinical psychologists are now very popular. This free online course provides an introduction to how psychologists understand emotions, behaviours and thinking patterns, and how this helps clinical psychologists make sense of their clients’ problems.
Over six weeks, you will explore some of the current challenges and debates in the area of diagnosis and treatment, and discover new ways of thinking psychologically about mental health.
You will gain new perspectives on the “nature vs nurture” debate, and understand how we are affected by life experiences. You will also discuss new research, which promises to help us improve our own mental health and well-being.
You will learn with Peter Kinderman, Professor of Clinical Psychology at the University of Liverpool, and author of “A Prescription for Psychiatry: Why We Need a Whole New Approach to Mental Health and Wellbeing.”
You can find out more about this course in Peter’s post for the FutureLearn blog: “Rethinking mental health and well-being.”
- The impact of biological and neurological traits on mental health and well-being
- The impact social elements have on mental health and well-being
- The extent to which life events can impact on how we act
- The role that rumination plays in well being and mental health
- Evidence-based suggestions as to how we might all protect and improve our mental health and well-being
- The design of mental health services form a non-medical perspective
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore how social aspects can impact on mental health
- Explore the extent to which life events affect mental health and well being
- Synthesise differing contemporary approaches to health and well being
- Engage in cutting edge research into mental health and well being
- Compare different explanatory models of mental health
- Synthesise different conceptual and explanatory models of mental health
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone who wishes to understand more about psychology, about mental health or who wishes to maintain their own mental health and well-being.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.