Weekly study10 hours
Feeling the Pulse
The assessment of patients and clients lies at the core of nursing practice. It involves identifying current and future health needs as a basis for the planning of therapeutic interventions.
Public health concerns improving the health and wellbeing of populations and communities. Assessing the health needs of a population or community is therefore an essential first step towards enabling it to become healthier.
The course aims to inspire you to analyse the community in which work in order to consider ways of responding to public health challenges.
- Health systems
- Concepts of community
- Community health needs assessment
- Concepts of health need
- Community profiling
- Epidemiological, comparative and corporate approaches
- Nursing contributions to health needs assessment
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Evaluate the function and purpose of a community health needs assessment
- Assess critically concepts of health need and their application
- Discuss critically the epidemiological, comparative and corporate approaches to health needs assessment and their contribution to promoting public health
- Assess how nurses can contribute to a community health needs assessment
Who is the course for?
If you are an experienced nurse wanting or needing to extend and develop your public health knowledge and skills, this course is for you.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.