Weekly study10 hours
Healing the Community
By working with, and in, community, nurses are responding to the importance of community to the health and wellbeing of individuals and populations both locally and nationally. The course will help you to consider adopting a community development or centred approach to promoting public health within your work role and area of practice.
- Health promotion approaches and models
- Prioritising health needs
- Community empowerment
- Social capital
- Asset based community development
- Engaging with the community
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Assess the different levels and approaches through which health may be promoted
- Explain and critically review different models of health promotion in relation to your own work
- Discuss critically the conflicts of value that may arise when promoting health
- Demonstrate an understanding of the decision making process when prioritising health needs
- Evaluate concepts of community empowerment, participation and social capital and asset based community development
Who is the course for?
If you are an experienced nurse wanting or needing to extend and develop your public health knowledge and skills, this course is for you.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.