Why join the course?
Obesity is changing the world we live in. Across a wide range of sectors - from the food industry to clothing design - we see the impact of the world’s growing waistline.
Perhaps the biggest impact obesity has is on our physical and psychological health, and the organisations and institutions that care for us.
Investigate the causes and consequences of obesity
In this free online course, we’ll investigate how modern life is increasing levels of obesity around the world, and the wide-ranging consequences this has on individual lives and society as a whole.
We’ll explore the impact of abundant, cheap, high-calorie fast food; sedentary lifestyles; changing modes of transport; and increasing urbanisation. Over four weeks, we’ll ask:
- How do we define and measure obesity?
- What are the causes of obesity?
- What are the consequences of obesity on health?
- How is research into obesity helping us to understand the issue?
Take a multidisciplinary approach to obesity
Specialists from the University of Reading’s School of Chemistry, Food and Pharmacy will guide you through the latest research in the field, and discuss how a multidisciplinary approach can help tackle the obesity epidemic.
If you’re a healthcare professional, this course will offer you a taste of the University’s Certificate in Obesity Management.
What topics will you cover?
- Introduction to obesity and how it’s defined.
- Obesity portrayed in the media.
- The public’s perceptions and prejudices regarding obesity.
- How obesity is measured.
- Critical introduction to body mass index.
- Introduction to resting energy expenditure.
- Overview of the key factors that contribute to weight gain.
- How the factors that contribute to obesity can be classified and grouped.
- How weight is regulated to prevent obesity.
- Introduction to the links between obesity and ill-health.
- Overview of the key consequences of obesity.
- How healthcare consultations can be improved.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify and compare the prevalence of obesity in different countries
- Explore and reflect on the perceptions and prejudice associated with obesity
- Calculate, interpret and compare the various methods for classifying obesity
- Discuss and classify the contributing causes of obesity
- Explain the reasons for and summarise the health consequences of obesity
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for anyone with an interest in understanding obesity and health, including healthcare professionals.
Buy a personalised, digital and printed certificate and transcript
Certificate of Achievement + transcript
Statement of Participation
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLobesity to talk about this course on social media.