Skip to 0 minutes and 3 seconds What is object-oriented programming? What’s the difference between a function and a method? How can you write your own text-based adventure game using Python? This free course will introduce you to the fundamentals of object-oriented programming. You’ll explore classes, methods, and attributes, and you’ll learn about abstraction, inheritance, and polymorphism. You’ll also take part in practical activities to extend existing classes and create your own programs. This four-week course contains peer-led discussions, trainer interaction, and feedback on your knowledge as you progress. You can learn whenever and wherever you want. So whether you’re a teacher with students of your own or simply curious about Python, this course will help you take your first steps in object-oriented programming. Sign up now at rpf.io/oop.
- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study2 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $44
Object-oriented Programming in Python: Create Your Own Adventure Game
A fun introduction to object-oriented programming in Python
Object-oriented programming is a programming paradigm based on objects and data rather than actions and logic.
This online course will introduce you to the principles of object-oriented programming in Python, showing you how to create objects, functions, methods, and classes.
You’ll use what you learn to create your own text-based adventure game. You will have the chance to share your code with other learners, and see theirs.
If you’re an educator, you’ll also be able to develop ideas for using object-oriented programming in your classroom.
What topics will you cover?
- Introduce the principles of object-oriented programming in Python.
- Understand the difference between a function and an object.
- Create objects, functions, methods, and classes.
- Write a text-based adventure game.
- Extending other people’s classes, including inheritance and polymorphism.
- Share your code with other learners, and see theirs.
- Develop ideas for using object-oriented programming in the classroom.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore using objects in programming, and understand the difference between a function and an object.
- Develop your understanding of how writing your own class allows you to combine functions and data.
- Demonstrate extending other people’s classes, including inheritance and polymorphism.
- Produce a module to apply your learning of object oriented programming.
- Collaborate by sharing your code with other people.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for people who are already familiar with Python programming and want to learn a different programming paradigm, understand and use existing libraries more effectively, or create code which is useful to other people.
It will be particularly useful for A level educators and students.
See all FutureLearn Reviews
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #RPiLearn to talk about this course on social media.