Why join the course?
This online astronomy course will change the way you see the night sky.
You’ll examine one of the most famous constellations Orion. Starting with its nebula, where new stars and planets are formed, you’ll take a look at the seven brightest stars that make up Orion using high-quality images, including from the Hubble Space Telescope.
You’ll learn about exoplanets and the secrets to life outside our Solar System. And you’ll think about the Milky Way, considering the history of the universe from the Big Bang to the present.
The course was produced with the kind support of Dangoor Education.
What topics will you cover?
- Observing and photographing the night sky
- Constellations and Orion in particular
- Star formation and stellar evolution
- Nuclear fusion in stars
- Supernovae, white dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes
- The Milky Way and other Galaxies
- The Big Bang and the evolution of the Universe
- Dark matter & dark energy
- The Solar System, especially asteroids and comets
- Planets around other stars
Who is the course for?
You do not need a professional telescope for this course, but you may find at least a pair of binoculars extremely useful.
No prior experience of the subject is required.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLOrion to talk about this course on social media.