- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study6 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $69
OPAT: Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy
Discover the function, role and limitations of an OPAT service
OPAT is a clinical service which enables patients with serious infection to be managed in an outpatient setting. The service aims to facilitate admission avoidance or early hospital discharge.
On this course, you will be introduced to the concept of OPAT. You’ll start by looking at the roles and responsibilities within the multi-disciplinary OPAT team.
Next, you’ll examine the importance of patient selection and antimicrobial choice, followed by device selection and monitoring.
By the end of the course, you’ll know how to develop an OPAT service in your own setting.
What topics will you cover?
The course will cover:
- The function, role and limitations of OPAT in modern health care
- The roles and responsibilities within the multi-disciplinary OPAT team
- The importance of patient selection, antimicrobial choice and device selection and monitoring in achieving optimal outcome
- How OPAT relates to the wider antimicrobial stewardship agenda and health care governance
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the function, role and limitations of OPAT in modern health care
- Compare the different roles and responsibilities within the multi-disciplinary OPAT team and reflect on how other health care providers may contribute to the service
- Explain how patient selection, antimicrobial choice and device selection and monitoring are crucial to achieving optimal outcome
- Explore how OPAT relates to the wider antimicrobial stewardship agenda and health care governance
- Apply antimicrobial stewardship principles to clinical OPAT practice
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at healthcare professionals who are interested in developing an OPAT service.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #BSACOPAT to talk about this course on social media.