Weekly study10 hours
Perspectives of Leadership: Debates, Developments and Global Perspectives
Understand whether leadership has evolved over time
You will be introduced to theories that endeavour to explain the dynamic relations between leaders and followers and gain an understanding of the multi-level impact of leadership.
You will develop an understanding of differences and similarities between management theories, eg transactional versus transformational, and be able to recognise their impact in an organisational context.
This course will help you understand the effect of leadership styles on employee and organisational performance.
- Key theories of organisational leadership eg leadership styles (Tannenbaum and Schmidt 1958)
- Recognition of modern leadership’s relations to contemporary organisational environments eg authentic leadership
- Differentiate between transactional versus transformational leadership styles
- Understand the impact of different leadership styles on employees and organisations
- Understand attributes of leadership styles that can be trained, as opposed to those that are inherent
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Evaluate contributions of key theorists to psychology’s understanding of leadership
- Explore the effects of changes in concepts of leadership to a modern concept of leader
- Assess whether the modern concept of leadership can be applied globally
- Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of management theories upon individuals and organisations
- Compare and contrast differences and similarities between transformational and transactional leadership styles
- Evaluate whether leadership can be effectively trained
Who is the course for?
This course is for people seeking a better understanding of the differences in leadership styles and the effects of each.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.