Explore the political process, policy development, and leadership challenges of implementing service changes in healthcare.
Weekly study3 hours
Policy Formulation and Analysis in Healthcare
Discover healthcare policy, from formulation to policy implementation
On this course, you’ll have the opportunity to evaluate and debate the practices and challenges related to policy development and formulation at local and national levels.
As you consider the changing dimensions of healthcare provision, you’ll have the chance to examine the evolution, principles and policies of policy identification, formulation and implementation.
You’ll look at various health policies in detail to trace the connections between them and explore their respective impact.
You’ll also be encouraged to take on a global perspective by considering the Sustainable Development Goals.
What topics will you cover?
- Definition of health care policy
- Connections to healthcare policies
- What are health policies?
- Global perspective – Sustainable Development Goals
- Developing policies and impact assessments
- Building health policies
- Measuring impacts
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate an understanding of different theories that are useful in policy formulation and analysis
- Identify key features of the processes of policy identification, formulation and implementation
- Justify and exemplify the policy role in learning organisations, innovation and change in healthcare
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those with a background in healthcare who are looking to progress their roles in middle and senior management.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
Who will you learn with?
I joined Coventry University in 2020 after many years in the NHS, NICE and Public Health. I have a strong knowledge of UK and International health policy and the use of health economics in policy
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Advance your career with a degree
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!