Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $49
Preventing and Managing Infections in Childcare and Pre-school
Identify how to prevent the spread of infectious diseases in children
Microbes live everywhere, especially in childcare settings where children play together at close quarters. They come in all shapes and sizes – and not all are harmful.
On this course, you’ll discover what germs are and how they spread, looking at simple ways of stopping infections spreading. You’ll learn practical tips on keeping early years settings safe.
You’ll reflect on the importance of antibiotics and identify what antibiotic resistance is and how we can prevent it, exploring the ways you can protect children from infectious diseases – including proper use of antibiotics and vaccinations.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain that microbes live everywhere, come in different shapes and sizes, and there are useful and harmful microbes.
- Demonstrate how infection can spread through our hands, coughs and sneezes and identify the correct times and ways to wash hands.
- Demonstrate how microbes can spread through food or unclean kitchen surfaces.
- Apply techniques to prevent the spread of infection on surfaces in a childcare or nursery setting.
- Explain why vaccination for children is important and identify reliable sources for information on vaccination.
- Reflect on the importance of antibiotics and explain what antibiotic resistance is and how we can prevent it.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone who works with or cares for infants and young children (under the age of 4 years). This includes nursery nurses, daycare staff, childminders, and carers.
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) is responsible for planning, preventing and responding to external health threats by providing intellectual, scientific and operational leadership at national and local level, as well as on the global stage. UKHSA is an executive agency, sponsored by the Department of Health and Social Care.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.