Identify how to prevent the spread of infectious diseases in children
Microbes live everywhere, especially in childcare settings where children play together at close quarters. They come in all shapes and sizes – and not all are harmful.
On this course, you’ll discover what germs are and how they spread, looking at simple ways of stopping infections spreading. You’ll learn practical tips on keeping early years settings safe.
You’ll reflect on the importance of antibiotics and identify what antibiotic resistance is and how we can prevent it, exploring the ways you can protect children from infectious diseases – including proper use of antibiotics and vaccinations.
Introduction to microbes, hand hygiene, and respiratory hygiene
Food hygiene, cleaning the environment, vaccination, and antibiotic use
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain that microbes live everywhere, come in different shapes and sizes, and there are useful and harmful microbes.
- Demonstrate how infection can spread through our hands, coughs and sneezes and identify the correct times and ways to wash hands.
- Demonstrate how microbes can spread through food or unclean kitchen surfaces.
- Apply techniques to prevent the spread of infection on surfaces in a childcare or nursery setting.
- Explain why vaccination for children is important and identify reliable sources for information on vaccination.
- Reflect on the importance of antibiotics and explain what antibiotic resistance is and how we can prevent it.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone who works with or cares for infants and young children (under the age of 4 years). This includes nursery nurses, daycare staff, childminders, and carers.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #ChildcareIPC to talk about this course on social media.