Weekly study8 hours
Introduction to the Principles of Management and Leadership in Healthcare
Acknowledging key differences between leadership and management practices
Firstly, this course will provide you with an opportunity to immerse yourself in the theories, concepts and principles of leadership and management practice.
You will debate the differences between managers and leaders and if they are born or developed.
Lastly, this course will allow you to explore culture in a global context considering how leaders and managers navigate their rules through employing relevant skills and behaviours.
- What are the differences between leadership and management?
- Can leaders be developed?
- Experiences of effective and ineffective leadership and management practices and styles
- The history of leadership theories
- Leaders in history
- Introduction to key leadership theories and concepts
- Leading in different countries and cultures
- The characteristics, skills, qualities and behaviours required of leaders
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop awareness of the key differences between leadership and management practices
- Debate whether leaders are born or can be developed
- Understand the history of leadership theories
- Compare different leadership theories and concepts and how these have developed
- Evaluate the characteristics, skills and behaviours to be a leader and to be a manager considering cultural differences
Who is the course for?
Students who are healthcare professionals and administrators wishing to progress into middle or senior management role, as well as policy makers, executives, consultants and service providers in the health sector.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.