- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
Introduction to American History: From Reconstruction to World War, 1865-1919
Discover key moments in American history after the Civil War
American history is vast and complex. Through this course you will explore some of its key moments - examining domestic history and foreign relations.
You will investigate the background to the modern history of the United States, including the Civil War, Reconstruction, segregation and the black experience, and US expansion and foreign policy into the 19th century.
What topics will you cover?
- Industrialisation, immigration, and urbanisation in the post-Civil War period
- Race relations from 1865-1919
- American foreign policy since the late nineteenth century
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Articulate core knowledge of American history in the period since the Civil War, encompassing themes, events, movements, and people from 1865-1919.
- Critically analyse interpretations of America’s past, and the primary source documentation that underpins them.
- Communicate clear and concise arguments in written forms that address issues in American history during this period.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in American history. You don’t need any previous experience.
Who developed the course?
The University of Newcastle is a world-class university distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence. Ranked in Australia’s Top 10 universities, and 197th in the world (QS rankings, 2021).
- LocationNewcastle, Australia
- World rankingTop 200Source: QS World University Rankings 2021
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #UniNewcastle to talk about this course on social media.