Weekly study6 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Scarcity and Resources in Healthcare
Explore the theory of health economics
Health economics examines the challenges of allocating health resources under conditions of scarcity. It is used to study health systems worldwide to help us gain an understanding of what affects decision-making in healthcare.
On this three-week course, you’ll explore key concepts of health economics including health, utility costs, and opportunity costs to understand how different factors affect decisions.
Through the examination of a trade-off activity, you’ll also discover the sorts of problems encountered when it comes to the allocation of scarce resources in healthcare.
Gain an introduction to the economic principles behind health technology assessment
Health technology assessment (HTA) is an essential tool for decision-making. On the course, you’ll explore HTA from an economic perspective.
This will give you a solid introduction before going on to explore what HTA is and the main pillars of universal health coverage (UHC), and how the two interlink.
Define the characteristics of the healthcare market
Delving into the healthcare market, you’ll explore how the decisions made here are different from other markets.
Examining demand, insurance, equity, inequality, and types of health systems, you’ll understand how the healthcare market operates, the numerous factors that need to be considered in decision-making, and how they interlink with HTA.
Explore the Health Minister’s Dilemma
You’ll apply the learning you have gained to a case study called “The Health Minister’s Dilemma”. You’ll look at specific treatments and drugs to demonstrate the application of HTA including malaria, arthritis, HIV prevention, and improving quality of life.
This knowledge will help you start thinking about the challenges healthcare systems face before exploring ways we can address them.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of scarcity and resources in decision-making
- Identify characteristics that make the healthcare market different from markets for general goods
- Explain key health economic concepts
- Discuss the main pillars of Universal Health Coverage
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone in healthcare who would like to gain an understanding of the role of health technology assessment.
It will be particularly useful for researchers, decision-makers, and healthcare professionals as well as those working in pharmaceutical industries and HTA agencies.
Who developed the course?
LocationGlasgow, Scotland, UK
World rankingTop 70Source: QS World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends