Understand the impact of sleep deprivation and how to improve your own sleep with this Teach-Out from the University of Michigan.
Weekly study2 hours
Sleep Deprivation: Habits, Solutions and Strategies
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Learn how to sleep better with these solutions and strategies
Sleep deprivation is a silent epidemic. Since the invention of the light bulb, we have been getting less sleep by prioritising work, school, socialising and screentime over the optimum amount of hours.
A lack of sleep and sleep disorders can lead to reduced productivity, road accidents and a range of health issues like depression and heart failure.
On this course, you will learn why sleep is important, how it works and how to break bad sleep habits. You will gain the knowledge and strategies to improve your own sleep and feel empowered to advocate for the sleep health of your community.
What topics will you cover?
- Understand an epidemic
- Learn personal ways to improve sleep
- Encourage healthy sleep habits in your community
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop understanding of the epidemic sleep deprivation
- Learn about personal ways to improve your sleep
- Learn about ways to encourage healthy sleep habits in your community
Who is the course for?
This course is ideal for anyone looking to improve their sleep quality.
This course is a Teach-Out from the University of Michigan. Teach-Outs are online courses that address important topics and allow people from all around the world to learn about them.
Who will you learn with?
In this Teach-Out, you'll meet our expert team: Johnathan Barkham, MD; Ronald Chervin, MD, MS; Cathy Goldstein, MD, MS;
Louise O'Brien, PhD, MS; Sonja Schuetz, MD, MS; and Anita V. Shelgikar, MD, MHPE
Who developed the course?
LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan, USA
World rankingTop 30Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
University of Michigan are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join: