Find out what it’s like to create, develop and live in a smart city
On this online course, you’ll hear from smart city innovators, entrepreneurs, leaders, communities and businesses.
You’ll explore what it’s like to live in a smart city, and the role of systems thinking, living labs, open data, crowdsourcing and roadmaps in them. You’ll debate challenges of privacy, ethics and security, and weigh up the value of leadership, standards and metrics. You’ll learn how to co-create a smart city project where you live.
The course has been developed as part of MK:Smart – a £16 million collaborative smart city initiative, supporting the economic growth of Milton Keynes.
What topics will you cover?
• Week 1: The course starts by examining what smart cities are, exploring the contrasting visions of how they will transform our urban environments and lives, and considers whether smart cities can be sustainable.
• Week 2: Looks at the role of people in smart cities and different approaches cities are taking from city led roadmaps, to business smart technology services, to solutions co-designed with citizens through living labs.
• Week 3: Examines the role that technology, data and urban analytics can play in transforming cities and considers challenges such as data ownership, privacy and ethics.
• Week 4: Explores the connections between urban innovation, enterprise and future smart city business models, looking at who will finance the smart city.
• Week 5: Considers the importance of city leadership and governance in developing smart cities, exploring the role of different stakeholders, as well as policy and standards.
• Week 6: The final week investigates the opportunities and barriers cities face in becoming smart and whether progress is being made. Students reflect on what they have learnt and are signposted to further learning opportunities.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course is intended for anyone with an interest in the application of new technologies to city challenges and smart city solutions. It does not require any prior experience of studying the subject.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLsmart19 to talk about this course on social media.